It is with much excitement that I am able to inform you that our Summer 2021 sporting provision will include interschool fixtures. We will be providing a sports programme that looks as similar to a regular schedule as possible, but there are still regulations that we will need to conform to. Sport specific protocols have been made available to pupils through the Firefly pages and will be reinforced during the first few sessions. Pupils will continue to use SOCS and the school bulletin for all internal information i.e. after school practices and games afternoons. Pupils will need to sign up if they wish to attend.
Our guiding safety principles
- Pupils will continue to come to school in sports tracksuits whenever they have sport during the school day including fixtures. Changing rooms will only be provided in the case of poor weather so bringing a change of clothes is recommended. Use of changing rooms is subject to change depending on the latest government guidelines.
- We will continue to follow National Governing Body (NGB) guidelines for each sport as set out by the DfE.
- Year group bubbles still remain in place for fixtures, which unfortunately impacts the senior teams at school, in particular. We are hoping that more opportunity for fixtures might arise during the term as the Government review their guidelines.
- Year 13 recreational sport will continue to take place on Tuesday and Saturday (morning and afternoon) in addition to possible fixtures. All of Y13 have been made aware of what is available via Firefly and SOCS.
- In sports such as cricket and tennis, for example, pupils are required to provide their own equipment as set out in the NGB guidelines. Athletes can use school equipment which will only be used by one person at a time and cleaned after use. Pupils will be made aware of what equipment they are required to bring by their coaches/teachers but the school website link will also provide an overview.
- Pupils are asked to bring a full water bottle to each session.
- Pupils should wear masks when entering all buildings.
- There are hand santisiers available at every facility on site and pupils will santise hands thoroughly at the start and end of each session.
- Social distancing guidelines will be reinforced when possible.
- In the event of severe weather, pupils will be contacted via e-mail in advance of the session if there are any alterations/cancellations.
- Staff cannot collect in valuables, so pupils should not bring valuables.
- We will have a mix of home and away fixtures. Transport will take place in bubbles and all staff and students will be required to wear masks for the entirety of the journey in line with Department for Education (DfE) guidelines.
- For away fixtures, we have requested protocols and risk assessments from each opposition school. Teas are likely to be ‘packed’ allowing us to arrive, play and then leave immediately. Toilets will be provided for home and away fixtures.
- Unfortunately, we still cannot have spectators onsite or at away fixtures, so please be aware of this when making arrangements for drop offs and pick ups. This will of course be subject to review.
- There are no expectations or pressure on participating in fixtures. If pupils/parents are uncomfortable with any aspect, then please speak directly to the staff member or Mr James Emmitt (JCE).