Within the Music department, Holistic Studies comprises complementary teaching methods that develop the student holistically: the Alexander Technique, Feldenkrais Method, and Dalcroze Eurhythmics.
Disciplines such as these are well-established in the music profession and in music education. Broadly speaking, these methods:
- improve general well-being by addressing posture
- improve sensitivity and stimulate innate ability through movement and awareness exercises
- develop a deeper and more natural understanding of pulse and rhythm through physical motions
Whilst these will be pursued with improvements to music making in mind, students also benefit from:
- a higher awareness of the connection of mind and body
- improved relaxation and handling of stress
- the development of learning skills and a passion for discovery
The Alexander Technique, Feldenkrais and Dalcroze are available at Sevenoaks through group sessions and workshops, as well as in individual lessons.