Geography Calendar 2019
The 2019 Geography Calendar Photograph Competition is now open. Each year the calendar showcases captivating ‘geography’ related photographs taken by members of the Sevenoaks community – parents, students, staff and Old Sennockians.
Photographs can be taken anywhere in the world; urban or rural, places or people, landscape or portrait. All are welcome. The only limiting factors are they should be in colour, of a high resolution and of geographical interest. Please feel free to resubmit photographs you have entered in previous years – each year we have to overlook some excellent photographs in the interest of variety. Please note the upload instructions are different from within and outside the UK.
All profit from the sale of the calendar will go to Education for All, a charity that helps to fund boarding places for impoverished girls in rural Morocco, enabling them to attend secondary school. As part of our IB Geography trip we are able to visit one of these schools and see first-hand how our money has helped. The 2018 calendar sale raised £2000 for this charity. A further £500 from the calendar sale was donated directly to the local Imlil Association during the L6th IB Geographers’ annual visit to the High Atlas Mountains. Our students helped to collect materials for wall construction at the local primary school (one of the Association’s current projects to enhance the community).
Instructions for uploading photographs to the 2019 Geography Calendar competition from within the UK:
1. To upload your photographs please go to http://onedrive.live.com and click on the ‘Sign In’ button. The user name is email@example.com and the password is Geocalendar19 (please note it is case sensitive).
2. Photographs should be uploaded by continent. There is a 2019 folder for each continent: Asia, Europe, Antarctica, The Americas, Africa and Oceania.
3. Go into the folder in which you want to upload your photograph and click on the ‘Upload’ button.
4. When your photograph has uploaded, enlarge the photo and click on ‘Add a caption’ underneath the photograph. Please write your name and a location so that we can contact you if your photograph is chosen for the calendar.
5. Ideally, the photographs you upload should be above 4MB in size in order for your photo to be considered for a main picture in the calendar. The larger the file size, the better!
6. The closing date for entries is Wednesday 12 September 2018
Instructions for uploading photographs to the 2019 Geography Calendar competition from outside the UK:
If you live outside the UK you will not be able to access the onedrive account without additional security details so please email your entries to: firstname.lastname@example.org
Please do not reduce the file size of the images and indicate the location in the subject box.
The issue of gender inequalities is taught in the Core theme of the IB geography syllabus and the importance of educating women is something which is brought home to our Lower Sixth IB Geographers on the annual visit to the High Atlas mountains in Morocco each Easter holiday. Among the Berber villages of the High Atlas mountains students meet women their own age who craved the chance to be educated beyond primary school and also spend some time interacting with the girls at the boarding house in Asni who are fortunate enough to directly benefit from the EfA charity.
Please click here to read an article in The Guardian about the charity the girls support.
Please note: Images submitted may be published in the Geography Calendar with your name. Winning images may also be published in other Sevenoaks School media. Copyright of the calendar remains with Sevenoaks School. Proceeds from sales of the calendar will be donated to Education for All